Disclaimer

Please take a look at the bottom of this page for the author's disclaimer and note of caution.

Friday 5 August, 2011

Burning Issue - The Lok Pal Bill

Burning Issue - The Lok Pal Bill

Right from the outset, I've not been a great fan of Anna Hazare & his team of so-called "Civil Society" (Refer to my earlier post Moral Peril in Supporting Anna Hazare).

My worst fears have come true.

Right through their meetings with the ministers to discuss the proposed draft Lok Pal Bil, they were repeatedly saying, in essence, "You're going to agree to my version or I'm going on a fast". If threats to go on a fast is going to be the basis of negotiation, I wonder how any bill can ever be passed in a democracy like ours.

To top it off, now the "Civil Society" members, led by Anna Hazare, have gone one step further - They've started burning copies of the Government's Draft Lok Pal Bill as a mark of protest.

Ridiculous.

I do not even wish to write a whole list of reasons to point out why Anna Hazare and his team of "Civil Society" members are wrong.

Suffice it to say: "Blackmail can work for some of the time, but can't be the perennial basis of achieving results". As Gandhiji pointed out, "The means are as important as the ends".

Shame on you, Anna Hazare, Shame on you!

Regards,

N


No comments:

Post a Comment