Disclaimer

Please take a look at the bottom of this page for the author's disclaimer and note of caution.

Wednesday 7 July, 2010

Genuine outrage or Storm in a Tea Cup?

Genuine outrage or Storm in a Tea Cup?
(Time Magazine Article by Joel Stein)

Do take a look at this article:

It created enough of a furore for multiple TV channels to focus their attention on this article on Prime Time TV.

Enough to prompt me to go take a look at the article.

And, not to my surprise at all, I didn't find too much that is so offensive.

On the contrary, I find much more offensive articles all the time in Indian newspapers and magazines.

Only goes to show the extent to which our society at large has become intolerant.

Wonder why some RSS types have not woken up to the remark in the article including the words "a group of people whose gods have multiple arms and an elephant nose." to describe Indians.

Perhaps they are bored declaring bandhs and burning effigies!

Let me clarify: I certainly don't claim to share the thoughts of Joel Stein nor with his choice of words. However, believing in the doctrine of "Freedom of Speech", I would like to think that people can write things that I don't entirely agree, as long as it is not illegal or beyond the boundries of civil society. Those who disagree have a couple of choices:

  • Don't read such stuff
  • Don't agree with such stuff
  • Express your disagreement vocally

But, to waste prime time TV on such trivial stuff probably gives undue & unwarranted importance to the contents of the so-called offensive stuff.

Believe me, till yesterday, I had not heard of Joel Stein! And I tend to read a lot.

Regards,

N


No comments:

Post a Comment